Construction Recovering to Pre-COVID19 Levels – AGC & Procore Report

New data from the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC) shows that the construction industry is getting back on its feet after the massive decline in activities caused by the COVID19 pandemic.

The COVID19 global pandemic affected our way of life, health, finance, and economics, causing disruptions in all facets of business and industry. This was particularly true in the construction sector, where a significant drop in project activities occurred.
But, as the world strives to roll-back the pandemic and states ease-up on the restriction in movements, things are beginning to get back to normal. With partial or relaxed lockdowns now being effected in most cities, construction activities are starting to spike up.

Latest Reports

New data from Procore and the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC) reveals that the construction industry is beginning to recover from the impact of the novel CoronaVirus Pandemic.
The survey conducted by Procore and AGC revealed that workers’ hour activity has recovered to pre-COVID19 levels in 68% of States in the US, while the remaining 32% are in different stages of recovery. As of June 2020, 34% of construction firms have recalled furloughed staff even though many refused to return to work due to COVID19.
Responding to the questionnaire, 55% of firms expressed some fear of litigation from workers that contract the CoronaVirus while commuting to work. By enacting a “safe harbor” set of protocols to provide firms with protection from tort or employment liability, these fears can be dismissed and we will continue the road to recovery.

Looking Forward

Though things are starting to looking positive for the construction industry, the AGC and Procore survey shows room for improvement. 68% of respondents complained about the halting of projects, particularly between May, June, and July.
When asked about the forecast on full normalization of construction activities, 42% of firms expressed concern that demands may not return to normal levels for another four months. Other firms projected that things would return to normal within the next six months.
According to the Senior Director of Business Development for Procore, Kristopher Lengieza, some states are experiencing levels of construction activity that were equal, and in some cases, much higher than they reported before COVID19.
But AGC chief economist Ken Simonson, in a news release, cautioned that getting to the March levels was a significant sign of progress, but that it doesn’t mean that things have returned to normalcy. Regardless, this is fantastic news for the construction industry, especially after grim projections just a few short months ago.